Ontario Driving Economic Growth in Haliburton, Kawartha Lakes, Brock
Today, Laurie Scott, MPP for Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock announced that several projects across the riding will collectively receive up to $265,997 in funding through the latest intake of the Rural Economic Development program (RED).
The RED program supports projects that diversify rural economies, retain skilled workers, and create jobs in local communities. The province is investing over $4.3 million in cost-share funding through the 2023 intake, which will support up to 80 projects across the province.
“It’s always great to work with rural communities to develop economic programs that benefit all members of the community” said Laurie Scott, MPP of Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock. “With many great initiatives across rural Ontario, RED brings exciting opportunities to businesses, employees, and community members as a whole.”
The funding will help establish collaborative marketing opportunities, implement strategies to strengthen and coordinate collaboration across sectors, and redevelop vacant and/or underutilized buildings.
“Our government values rural communities throughout the province, and this program provides municipalities, Indigenous communities, and not-for-profits with the funding they need for projects that contribute to local economic vitality,” said Lisa Thompson, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. “The Rural Economic Development program is another example of how our government is ensuring small towns and communities across Ontario continue to share in the province’s growth and economic prosperity.”
The RED program provides cost-share funding support towards activities that create strong rural communities. This includes funding assistance to build local capacity and improve job prospects. The program aligns with the government’s priorities of removing barriers to investment, opening doors to rural economic development, and creating good jobs across the province.
- Since 2019, the Rural Economic Development Program (RED) has invested more than $21.6 million to fund more than 380 projects that are helping to attract investment, create jobs and boost economic development in communities across the province.
- 4 key projects in the riding that are eligible for funding:
- Township of Brock – Strengthening Brock Township’s Key Sectors Through Supportive Policy and Programming
- Haliburton County Development Corporation – HCDC Business Services Hub Expansion
- Pinnguaq Association – Establishing a STEAM Innovation Hub in the Kawartha Lakes
- County of Haliburton – Comprehensive Economic Development content development and marketing campaign
For more information, please contact:
Office of MPP Laurie Scott